Saturday, March 14, 2009

Correction.

In my original preview of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, I complained that there would be no quick match for online play, limiting you to only playing friends. I have since purchased the game and found that to be untrue. Chalk this one up to the Nintendo booth staff not exploring their own product thoroughly enough. Additionally, the aforementioned handicap system is exceptionally broken, giving so massive an advantage to the weaker player that the feature might as well not exist at all.

On a side note, however, the retail product still encourages my endorsement.


Insert coin to continue,
Iwasaki Koji

2 comments:

  1. I'm embarrassed to admit that you're right: I didn't thoroughly explore online play before speaking with you. We'd had the game for just over a week before the event, and I'd dedicated most of my time to finishing the campaign, memorizing character names and classes, secrets etc, and local ad-hoc play.

    I apologize.

    As far as the handicap system goes, however, I have to disagree with you: while it does seem to confer an advantage to the weaker player, this is (in my experience, not speaking on behalf of Nintendo) entirely offset by the custom weapons the stronger player can create in Forge mode.

    -Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Hollister is extremely right, Koji. When you and I play together, a majority of the time my custom weapons outshine your standard ones and totally kill your guys. It's not a matter of the balancing being broken- it's the fact that I've poured lots of money into improving my weapons.
    I love the forge mode, I just wish I could use it more often... because my weapons are clearly awesome!

    ReplyDelete